U-LINK:NASW-Michigan's Student Initiative!
On October 18, 2015 student leaders from across the state came together for an orientation to NASW and the U-Link Advocacy program. U-Link connects NASW to Michigan’s schools of social works through BSW and MSW students who serve as representatives throughout the course of the academic year.
At this year’s orientation, our U-Link advocates strategized around three main themes. One team will be responsible for increasing the visibility of NASW on campus and with students and faculty, with goals of recruiting new members, increasing student involvement in conference and community event, and overall bringing greater awareness of the profession and our association. A second team will strive to provide more opportunities and education around legislative, policy, and community organizing within social work. Goals include building relationships with social workers in Michigan’s government, engaging with state-wide political organizations and committees, and increasing the awareness of social work-related legislation and calling interested parties to action. The third team will focus on better integrating the social work student population into their communities. This group aims to highlight under-recognized non-profits, educate student organizations about service work opportunities, facilitate efforts to serve between community agencies and students, and host campus events that feature representation from local organizations.
This year’s U-Link team brings a lot of enthusiasm, engagement, and fresh ideas for serving their campus communities and NASW. Keep informed with the good work these students are doing in future articles features in The Bridge!
2015-2016 ULink Advocates
Eastern Michigan University
- Heather Gallagher, firstname.lastname@example.org
Grand Valley State University
- Victoria Hylarides, email@example.com
- Amber Hendrick, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael Heisler, email@example.com
Michigan State University
- Devon Bement, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kenneth Stetson, email@example.com
- Haley Hildebrand, firstname.lastname@example.org
Saginaw Valley State University
- Olivia Irwin, email@example.com
University Of Michigan – Ann Arbor
- Sherra Bennet, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Josh Jerz, JDJerz@umich.edu
- Trevor Verrier, email@example.com
University Of Michigan – Flint
- Kimberly Redmond, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kimberly Knickerbocker, email@example.com
- Charles Banks Jr, firstname.lastname@example.org
Wayne State University
- Elizabeth Iwankowitsch, email@example.com
- Stephen Phillips, firstname.lastname@example.org
Western Michigan University
- Lori Caputo, email@example.com
- Ashleigh Clarysse, firstname.lastname@example.org